As you leave the hospital, your nurses will remind you to schedule a postpartum check-up with your doctor. Your doctor will usually want to see you 2 to 4 weeks after a cesarean birth without problems. It is very important to keep your appointment. A check-up is needed to make sure you are healing as you should.
Your doctor will:
• Check to make sure your uterus is returning to its normal size.
• Check the healing of your incision.
• Ask what type of birth control you are thinking about using.
• Ask how well you are adapting to the many new changes in your life.
During your check-up, your blood pressure and weight will be checked, and a pelvic and breast exam will be given.
Your check-up visit is a good time to ask questions because your next visit may not be for at least 6 months to a year. Keep a list of any questions you have before you see your doctor. Take your list with you so you won’t forget anything. These are some questions you can ask at your check-up:
• Has my incision healed as it should?
• Can I try a vaginal birth next time?
• How can I get relief from my hemorrhoids, varicose veins, or other problems?
• What is the best type of birth control for me?
• When can I drive?
• When can I go back to work?
If you are having problems with depression, choosing a method of birth control, or wanting to care for yourself or your newborn, your check-up is a good time to talk with your doctor.
Make your check-up visit a special occasion. Try to get a baby-sitter and bring your baby next time. Then you won’t feel rushed during your check-up and can get all of your questions answered. Don’t forget to bring a picture of your beautiful new baby that your doctor can keep.
More About Self Care After Cesarean Birth
Introduction to Self-care After Cesarean Birth
Preventive Self Care
Physical Changes and Healing
Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
Activities and Healthy Exercise
Nutrition and Diet
Family Planning and Birth Control
Normal “Baby Blues” or Postpartum Depression
Your Postpartum Check-Up
Get as Much Rest as You Can
When to Call Your Doctor
- Your Postpartum Check-up
- Family Planning and Birth Control After Cesarean
- Activity and Exercise After Cesarean Birth
- Get as Much Rest as You Can After Cesarean
- Self Care After Cesarean Birth
- Caring for Yourself After Cesarean Birth
- When to Call Your Doctor After Cesarean
- Normal Baby Blues or Postpartum Depression After Cesarean
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- Self-care After Vaginal Birth
- Get as Much Rest as You Can Postpartum
- Normal Baby Blues or Postpartum Depression?